USING AN INTERACTIVE GIS MAP
Name ___________________________________________ Period _____
Go to the following site <http://denr1.igis.uiuc.edu:8088/isgsproj/quad75.html>, and wait until the state map finishes loading. Note that just below the title Index of 7.5 minute Quadrangles in Illinois there is a row of 12 GIS tool buttons. Below the button row is a list of GIS themes, or data layers. Only four themes currently display a check in the checkbox (Counties, Interstate Highways, Municipalities, and 7.5 Quad Mapping Status). These are the only themes being displayed on the map at the right. The mapping status theme indicates that much of LaSalle County is published (not digitized). Complete each of the following steps:
- Click on the checkbox in front of the Mapping Status theme to remove the check mark. This will also turn off the Mapping Status theme currently being displayed. Wait a while until the color disappears and the state map now shows only county boundary lines and interstate highways.
- Click on the checkbox in front of the County Names theme. After a while a small line will appear in the upper left corner of each county.
- Click on the Zoom In button and drag a rectangle around LaSalle County. Do not forget to include the "pan handle" at the bottom of the county. Now wait while the image zooms in.
- Now you can read the county name and see two heavy lines and a number of gray areas. The heavy lines are I-80 running E-W and I-39 running N-S. Each gray area is a municipality (city). Count all the gray areas completely inside the county lines (don't forget the "panhandle") and write the number on the line below:
I count _____ cities within the county limits.
- The city of Ottawa is located where the Fox River meets the Illinois River. Click the checkbox on the Streams theme and wait for the rivers to appear. Ottawa is the only gray area in which two lines meet. Use the Zoom In button to drag a rectangle around the entire municipal area of Ottawa.
- After a while, the screen should zoom in to Ottawa. The zoom should include the part of Ottawa north of I-80. Click the checkbox in front of "Railroads generalized" and wait until that theme displays. Two rails cross in Ottawa, each one crossing a different river. The CSX runs E-W and the Burlington Northern runs N-S. Fill in the following blanks:
In Ottawa, the Burlington Northern crosses the ______________ River.
In Ottawa, the CSX crosses the __________ River.
7. Click on the GIS tool Print button and wait for the image to build. When the image appears, hold down the Alt key and press the Print Screen key. Next, open Microsoft Word. Turn on Centering and Boldface. In ALL CAPS, type OTTAWA, ILLINOIS. Press ENTER, type the word "by", press ENTER and type your name. Press the enter key, hold down the Ctrl key and press the "V" key. The image will be pasted into your document. Print the document and hand it in. Close all windows.