Basic Directions for Using the Laservideodisc Player
- Turn on the power switch to to player.
- Press the OPEN/CLOSE button on the player. The tray to hold the laserdisc should open at this time. Place the laserdisc in the tray, with the side to be played facing downwards. Once again press the OPEN/CLOSE button to close the tray holder.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For newer players, the tray opens and closes automatically and MUST NOT be manually closed.
- Press the PLAY button(on player or remote control) to start up the disc. After a few seconds, the initial title page for the disc should appear on the TV screen. If nothing happens, recheck your cable connections and channel settings on the player and TV.
- Once the player is up and running, you can now use either the remote control or a barcode reader to access the slides and video clips that are on the disc.
Using the Remote Control
- The CHAPTER/FRAME mode is used to directly access a particular location on the videodisc. Using the lesson manual provided with each laserdisc for reference, press the CHAPTER/FRAME button on the remote, then enter the appropriate chapter or frame number. When the SEARCH button is pressed, the player will go to the selected chapter or frame on the disc, and display it on the TV.
- An alternate method for finding a particular spot on the disc is to use the SCAN button to quickly skim through the frames. By pressing the DISPLAY(or DISP) button on the remote, both the chapter and frame number will appear on the TV screen, so that you will know where you are on the disc.
- The AUDIO portion of the player should be set to match configuration of the disc being used. Most discs will use both sound tracks of the disc for a stereo output. However, some videodisc programs are bilingual, using one sound track for the English version and the other track for the Spanish version. If you select the stereo option with these discs, you will get both tracks playing at the same time! Still other programs have no sound at all. By pressing the AUDIO button( several times if necessary) you can select the appropriate sound track(s) for the disc you are using.
- For individual slides or frames, use the STEP button on the remote control to advance the disk one frame at a time. For a movie, press the PLAY button to run the clip. NOTE: If you accidentally use the PLAY button to run a series of slides, they will flash by at an alarming rate.
- The speed at which movies are played can be adjusted by using the SPEED button. Press the UP or DOWN button as many times as desired to either accelerate or slow down the rate of play. Then use the MULTI button to play the movie at the new speed. While the clip is running, the speed can be further adjusted by pressing the SPEED buttons as desired. Every time that the MULTIspeed function is used in the future, it will run at the last speed selected until you change speeds again. NOTE: There is no sound when the movie is run at this new speed, and the disc will continue to play one video after another until you press the PLAY or PAUSE button to stop the MULTIspeed function.
- The standard setting for the REPEAT MODE is to have the player automatically return to the first frame of the disc once it reaches the last frame of the disc. This can be changed to return to the beginning of a chapter, in order to be able to show the information again, without having to reset the player. A useful feature when showing the same chapter to several classes in a row.
Using the Barcode Reader
- Barcodes are used only for videodisc slides or to access a particular frame of a movie clip. Press the READ button on the barcode reader, then quickly move the pointed end of the reader across the barcode. It can be scanned both forwards and backwards. You should hear a beep and see the light flash when the barcode has been scanned properly.
- Aim the flat end of the wireless reader at the remote sensor window of the laserdisc player, then press the SEND button. (If the reader is directly connected to the player with a wire, then it wonÕt be necessary to aim.) Once again, a beep and flash occurs if the signal is received. The player will display the selected frame on the TV.
- With a Pioneer barcode reader #UC-109BC, STEP and PLAY options are included features on the reader. For model #UC-104BC that only has read and send functions, you must first scan the appropriate barcode commands with the reader, then send the signal to the player. By pressing the REPEAT key on the barcode reader, the same signal can be sent to the player again and again.
The barcode reader can be used to access particular frames of the laserdisc more quickly than the remote control can, but the remote has more options for controlling the play of the video clip. Also, the remote control can change the method of play more rapidly than the barcode reader can. For the fastest access and control of the play functions, the barcode reader can be used to set the player at the correct frame, then use the remote control to adjust the play features.
Presenter(s) for this seminar:
Mark Case and John Hnatow
Emmaus HS, 851 North St., Emmaus, PA 18049