The History of Chemistry
1992 Woodrow Wilson Summer Institute
Historical Activities and Lessons
The Lessons Included in this Activity Section are:
- Scientist activity: - Prepare a biographical file on a selected scientist; a supplemental list of birthdays is included.
- Technology and Society activity: - Report on a trip to a selected time period through a time machine.
- TimeLine activity: - Produce an AD time line on a specific area/country in the world.
- What if? activity: - What if? mind game using specific technological or scientific advances.
- Newspaper activity: - Develop a newspaper based on the career of a selected scientist.
- CHEMWEB game: - Trace interrelationships between chemists, chemicals and processes.
- Atomic Model Timeline: - Produce a timeline detailing the evolution of the atomic model.
- Arrhenius Lab: - Conduct several of the experiments outlined in his dissertation.
- Dinner Party activity: - A thought-provoking exercise in which students select 20 diverse figures to be seated appropriately during a formal dinner party.
- Element Ad activity: - Design an advertising campaign for an element.
- Element Grid activity: - Design a 20 x 20 grid to be filled as much as possible by element names; a competitive game.
- Mole Day activity: - A series of activities to involve students in celebrating "Mole Day" and help teach the concept.
- Periodic Table activity: - Design a "new" periodic table to include group "G" elements not yet discovered.
About this module....
Woodrow Wilson Leadership Program in Chemistry
The Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation
CN 5281, Princeton NJ 08543-5281