- What analogy is made at the beginning of the video between the world of building construction and chemistry?
Both buildings and compounds are constructed from a relatively small number of building blocks.
- Molecules that have the same number and kinds of atoms but differ in the way the atoms are arranged in space are called isomers .
- What is meant by saturated and unsaturated bonds?
Saturated compounds hold all the hydrogen they can i.e. single bonds. Unsaturated bonds could hold more hydrogen; they have double bonds.
- Which kind of fat is thought to present possible health hazards to humans?
- Why does the food industry ``like'' saturated fats?
They are solids at room temperature, have longer shelf lives, and have higher cooking temperatures.
- How are saturated fats produced from unsaturated fats?
Hydrogen is passed though the unsaturated fat in the presence of a catalyst.
- What two categories of geometric isomers were mentioned in the video?
cis and trans isomers
- What is meant if two molecules are said to be chiral?
The two molecules can not be superimposed. Solutions of the two isomers rotate light in opposite directions.
- What are the two main categories of optical isomers?
D (dextro - right) and L (levo - left).
- Briefly describe the results of the fermentation demonstration.
Only the D form of the sugar was acted upon by the yeast to bring about fermentation.
- What happens to the optical activity of an amino acids in protein as it decomposes?
One form (D or L) is converted to the other (Racemization).
- How is the process described in Question 11 used to determine the age of objects?
The less the optical activity the older the object.