- What is special about the arrangement of electrons in the noble gases?
They all have their s and p orbitals filled.
- What do other elements do to acquire a noble gas configuration?
By gaining or losing electrons
- What are the indications of chemical change when sodium and chlorine react?
Change in color and the release of energy
- Describe the arrangement of ions in sodium chloride.
Each ion is surrounded by six of the other ions.
- What tests were done to determine if a substance contains ionic bonds?
- What does the shape of a crystal tell you about its internal structure?
The shape of the crystal is often an indication of the internal arrangement of atoms.
- What is meant by covalent bonding?
The sharing of electrons
- What element is common to many explosives?
- Why do these explosives release so much energy?
In addition to the energy released, the products are often gases which expand rapidly as they form.
- What is meant by nitrogen fixation?
The ability of plants to take nitrogen directly from the air.