- What are the three basic components (particles) that make up an atom?
Protons, neutrons, electrons
- What are the two regions of any atom?
The nucleus and the electron cloud
- How does the size of the nucleus compare to the size of an atom?
The average atom is 10,000 larger in diameter than the nucleus.
- What is the Scanning and Tunneling electron Microscope (STM) used for?
It provides 2 and 3 dimensional images of atoms.
- What holds the electrons and the nucleus together?
- Unlike charges attract ; like charges repel .
- What are the charges on the electron negative , the proton positive , and the neutron neutral ?
- Why is the overall charge of the atom neutral?
# protons = # electrons
- What did Rutherford's gold foil experiment show?
The nucleus contains most of the atoms mass and has a positive charge.
- When two atoms meet, what parts of the atoms interact?
- What are some ways that signals from the atom can be used?
They can be used to determine the number and types of atoms present.