- What does it mean to say that the Earth is a ``closed system?
Nothing can leave the ecosystem once it is created. There is no ``away''. We can't just throw something ``away'' when we no longer want it.
- List three examples of how nature recycles.
Production and recycling of oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide gases. The dissolving and reforming of limestone.
- What is the ultimate power source for the chemical reactions in life?
- What gas is produced by burning coal and wood? What is a possible side effect of increasing the levels of this gas in the atmosphere?
Carbon dioxide - greenhouse effect
- What insecticide which saved many lives from insect borne diseases was banned because it killed birds and fish?
- What class of compounds used as coolants and insulators was banned because of environmental hazards?
- What is the name of the 1980 law to clean up waste sites?
- When chemical wastes are burned what materials are released into the environment?
Carbon dioxide and water vapor if complete combustion takes place.
- What do scrubbers do?
They remove undesirable materials from smokestacks (fly ash, sulfur compounds, etc.).
- What is the name for the process that uses bacteria to break down chemicals?
- What process can help reduce possible pollution while saving money at the same time?
Waste reduction at the point of manufacturing