- Color depend on tiny particles called molecules .
- What did Newton use to demonstrate that white light was a mixture of colors?
- How is the wavelength of red light different from that of blue light?
Red light has a longer wavelength.
- What by-product of coal use was of interest to chemists?
- Perkin was trying to synthesize quinine but made this instead.
Aniline dye, a purple synthetic dye.
- The quest for new synthetic dyes did what to chemistry?
It advanced it rapidly by creating trained chemists and new reagents.
- Bayer manufactured what important medicine from coal tar?
- Many leading chemical manufacturers are German companies who started in what industry?
Synthetic dye manufacture.
- Dyes used to analyze other chemicals are called indicators .
- Attaching a poison to a dye that stains only certain cells is a form of chemotherapy
- How a ruthenium dye binds to DNA can provide what kind of information?
Information about the structure of DNA.
- How are dyes used to improve glass used in greenhouses?
Dyes convert green light to red light which can be used by plants.