- What fraction of the elements on the periodic table are metals?
- What are some physical properties of metals?
Conductivity, ductile, malleable
- In general, what happens to metals in chemical reactions?
They give up electrons.
- What happens in the thermite reaction?
Molten iron is produced from aluminum and iron oxide.
- What are some uses of the thermite reaction?
Welding rails and underwater welding
- What is meant by ``delocalized'' electrons?
Electrons that are free to move through a metal.
- What materials are needed to produce iron?
Iron ore, coke, limestone and heat
- What is meant by a reducing agent?
A material that allows an ore to be reduced to a metal.
- What are two methods of reducing ores to pure metals?
Chemical and electrochemical reactions
- How much energy is required to recycle aluminum as compared to forming new metal?
- What is an alloy? List some common examples.
A mixture of metals. Brass, bronze, steel.