Back to main page
Fond of Ponds
Introduction: Most students have looked at microscopic organisms in pond water. In this lab students will be required not only to indentify organisms, but also construct food chains using the organisms they see. The class can share food chains and synthesize a food web. Food webs may be analized by the trophic levels. Finally, the studetns may be asked to show how human intervention affects this habitat.
Materials: Ward’s Pond Water, microscope, slides, eyedropper
1. Have students identify 9-12 organisms.
2. Classify the organisms as autotrophic or heterotrophic.
3. Construct a food chain.
4. Share food chains with other groups and construct a food web.
5. Identify the trophic levels.
6. Identify a pollutant source that might affect 2-4 organisms in the
7. Explain the consequences that the pollutant will have on the
What is alive?
What is moving?
What has color?
Anything moving and have color?
How can you tell if an organism is autotrophic or heterotrophic?
What are two sources of pollutants in the watershed?
Which of the organisms of your food web will be affected by the pollutant? How?
Draw any two organisms.
Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation
CN 5281, Princeton NJ 08543-5281 - Tel:(609)452-7007 - Fax:(609)452-0066
Technical contact: email@example.com